The Director of User Experience is a key leader within the organization, responsible for building, managing, and mentoring information architecture, interaction design, and user research. Working in close collaboration with strategy, creative, and technology teams. This position will contribute high-level architecture and interaction thought leadership, while driving continuous tactical improvements of product craftsmanship and process to improve efficiency.
The Director of User Experience will be the UX contact for clients and third-party contractors, provide department guidance in project planning, estimation and escalations. The Director of User Experience will find creative ways to articulate the design thinking and logic behind all solutions architecture both internally and externally.
- Works with clients to understand their business models and goals and leads the process of defining business requirements, content, and features
- Leads User Experience portions of projects – from brainstorming and conception to architecture and training.
- Conducts multiple methods of primary and secondary research including interviews with key stakeholders, observation, surveys, market research, Web analytics, etc.
- Analyzes customer segments and their information and functional needs in order to create personas
- Researches and analyzes industry trends and competitive information
- Planning and conducting user research including: usability studies, competitive analysis, user surveys, expert reviews and more.
- Creating presentations and reports, personas, user journeys, wireframes, sitemaps, Axure prototypes, content audits and style guides.
- Running training courses for UX trainings internally and for external clients/brands.
- Mentoring and transferring knowledge to all team members.
- Attending UX events in the industry and being a presence as an ambassador for the company.
- Implementing best practices and improving existing report writing and documentation.
- Introducing new areas of research such as video games, service design and product design usability testing.
- Running surveys and designing remote unmoderated user research with tools such as UserZoom.
- Directly input into the sales process writing methodologies and estimating time at the proposal stage.
- Writing at least one UX related article each month demonstrating best practice for the company web site.
- Assist with overall resource planning and forecasting for the whole UX team, and interviewing prospective candidates.
- Owning the user requirements but understands client constraints.
- Constantly looking to improve what we do and selling in new ideas to the client.
- High standard of report writing and ability to communicate ideas verbally.
- Good time management skills and ability to deliver to deadlines/budget.
- Solid hold over team / project profitability and efficiency.
Your skills and experience
- Passion for technology, research and design, and the drive to stay on top of industry trends and best practices as exhibited through 6+ years of progressively more responsible experience, 3+Yrs leading UX teams
- Persuasive communicator – able to explain complex or intangible concepts to stakeholders at all levels
- Experience leading user research and brainstorming and discovery sessions
- Ability to perform interface design critiques and supply objective feedback to designers
- Excellent critical thinking and analysis skills
- Experience managing, training and mentoring others in UX design methodologies and best practices.
- Ability to work with the diverse team of UX professionals and people skills
- Strong understanding of the local market dynamics and ability to connect with clients on a personal level